1.5 lbs. Beef (any type of beef works…Sirloin, flank or skirt steak)
1 C. Potato starch (divided in half)
(can be substituted with corn starch, but it won’t be as crispy)
1 sm. Onion
2 cloves Garlic
4–5 slices Ginger (sliced thin, 2–3 mm)
1 t. Light soy sauce (reduced sodium)
Sweet and Sticky Sauce:
3/4 C. Honey
1/4 C. & 2 T. Light soy sauce (reduced sodium)
1/2 C. Water
1 T. Hoisin sauce
1/2 T. Rice vinegar
1 T. Sesame oil
1 T. Cooking wine
5 t. Cornstarch (for cornstarch slurry thickener)
6 t. Water (for cornstarch slurry thickener)
Garnish & Toppings (Optional):
1–2 stalks Green onion (sliced on the bias)
Toasted sesame seeds
Marinate the Beef:
- Slice the steak into 1 cm wide strips and place it in a bowl. (If your steak is more than 1 cm thick, cut the strips in half again length-wise)
- In a food processor, blitz the onion, garlic, and ginger until it is a paste. (If you do not have a food processor, you can grate them or chop it very finely by hand, just make sure the ginger bits are very tiny)
- Add the marinade and 1 tablespoon of soy sauce to the beef and mix well and marinade it in the fridge for 1 hour (or 20-30 minutes in room temperature)
Deep Frying the Beef:
- After the beef has marinated, dust 1/2 cup of potato starch (or cornstarch) on the beef and use your fingers to loosely coat the beef with it. Let it sit for 10 minutes
- While you are waiting for the meat, heat up a heavy bottom pot (or wok) set the temperature of the oil to 375F (191C) (or medium heat) and add at least 1 inch of oil and wait for it to get hot.
- Once the beef has sat for 10 minutes, dust the other 1/2 cup of potato starch (or cornstarch) on the beef again to lightly re-coat the beef and lightly dust off any excess starch. Deep-fry it immediately.
- Using your fingers separate the beef if they are clumped together and deep fry it in the oil in small batches (make sure the oil is hot but not smoking – to test if the oil is hot enough, add 1 small piece of beef first and see if it instantly sizzles)
- Deep fry the beef for 1-2 minutes, and remove it from the pot onto a plate with parchment paper or newspaper.
- Once all the beef has been cooked once (first fry), add all of it back in for the second deep fry for 1 more minute.
- Sweet & Sticky Sauce Time!
- Remove all the oil from the pot and set it back on the stove on medium low heat
- Add in all the sauce ingredients, except the cornstarch slurry ingredients.
- Stir until everything is combined well and wait until it comes to a low rolling boil
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch and cold water to make a cornstarch slurry and add it into the sauce and keep stirring until the sauce has thickened. Turn off the heat.
- Add in the crispy beef and coat it with the sauce
- Serve immediately. Enjoy with a nice Coconut Jasmine rice
Enjoy, Dean Stefanic