• 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons soy sauce
• 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
• 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
• 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 6 scallions, roughly chopped
• 3 cloves garlic
• 1 habanero or scotch bonnet chile, seeded
• Kosher salt
• Vegetable oil, for drizzling and oiling the pan
• 8 pieces mixed chicken thighs and breasts, boneless and skin on
• Mango Chutney, recipe follows
• Fresh cilantro leaves, for serving
• Combine the sugar, soy sauce, thyme, nutmeg, allspice, cinnamon, scallions, garlic, habanero and a pinch of salt together in a food processor and blend for a couple of minutes, scraping up any pieces that cling to the walls to make sure everything is blended evenly.
• Drizzle veggie oil on the chicken and work the spice rub into the chicken, making sure to put the mixture under the skin as well. Cover and let the chicken marinate in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours or up to overnight.
• Oil and preheat a grill pan over medium heat. Grill the chicken skin-side down, flipping halfway through, 5 to 8 minutes per side. Serve with the Mango Chutney and cilantro.
• 1/3 cup dark raisins
• 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
• 2 tablespoons grated ginger
• 2 cloves garlic, grated
• 2 mangos, cut into small dice
• 1 jalapeno, minced
• Kosher salt
• 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
• 1 teaspoon turmeric
• Mix together the raisins, sugar, ginger, garlic, mangos, jalapenos and salt to taste in a medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or up to overnight.
• Combine the mango mixture with the vinegar and turmeric in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally to prevent the chutney from sticking to the pan, until thickened and thoroughly combined, about 20 minutes.
Enjoy, Dean Stefanic